INTERMODAL OPERATION OF OCEAN GOING VESSELS AND THE FEASIBILITY OF SHORT SEA VESSEL OPERATION. MARITIME SYSTEM OF THE AMERICAS STUDY; FINAL REPT
The Maritime System of the Americas (MSA) refers to the waterway system that connects central and eastern portions of the United States and Canada to the central and eastern portions of Mexico, the Caribbean countries, Central America, and the Northern rim of South America. The MSA research program was divided into two principal phases. The first phase addressed river/ocean operations. This second phase addresses the potential for conventional and short sea shipping as well as intermodal operations of the study region. For general cargo, land transportation, especially trucking, is the dominant system serving the region. The restructuring and trade growth within the NAFTA region presents an opportunity for water transportation to increase its market share of cargo movements and attract more general cargo volume. Increase in volume is expected for existing services, such as deep sea, coastal, and feeder operations. Additionally, new types of services are emerging, such as river/ocean and trailer ferry operations. Specifically, cost modeling suggests that intermodal movement of domestic trailers, with inclusion of a RoRo ferry has cost and logistics advantages over other transportation options and, therefore, has potential to significantly expand market penetration into the eastern/central regions of both Mexico and the U.S.
- Sponsored by Maritime Administration, Washington, DC.
National Ports and Waterways Inst.Washington, DC United States
Maritime Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1994-10
- Pagination: 200 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Costs; Exports; Feasibility analysis; Ferries; Freight transportation; Highway transportation; Imports; Intermodal transportation; International trade; Market research; Merchant vessels; Ports; Railroad transportation; Studies; Transportation; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Geographic Terms: Mexico; United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Transportation studies
- Subject Areas: Finance; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00675741
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-PORT-830-95001
- Contract Numbers: DTMA91-93-G-00042
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 4 1995 12:00AM