CAN HIGH STRENGTH CONCRETE PAVEMENTS IMPROVE SIGHT CONDITIONS IN ROAD TUNNELS
Wear and tear on road pavements costs enormous sums of money in maintenance each year. Road dust is unpleasant and if found in larger quantities can cause health problems. Road tunnels are particularly prone to discomforts caused by the presence of dust. Reduction in visibility is one of the problems. Dust is chiefly caused by the continuous mechanical breaking down of the road pavements, combined with soot from vehicles. In winter the wear and tear from studded tires will give markedly worse visibility than in the summer. The amount of dust generated and the distribution of particles will bear direct relation to the quality of the road surface. In road tunnels the road pavement lightness strongly influences the operational costs of the tunnel lighting.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/8259585480
- Presented at International Workshop on Concrete Paving (2nd), Oslo, Norway, June 15-19, 1994. Prepared in cooperation with Norges Tekniske Hoegskole, Trondheim, Norway.
Selskapet for Industriell og Teknisk ForskningDivision of Rock and Mineral Engineering
- Myran, T
- HEDALEN, T
- Publication Date: 1994-5-25
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Concrete pavements; Dust control; Lighting systems; Maintenance practices; Surface course (Pavements); Tunnels; Visibility
- Uncontrolled Terms: Operation and maintenance
- Old TRIS Terms: Tunnel lighting
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00675569
- Record Type: Publication
- ISBN: 8259585480
- Report/Paper Numbers: STF36-A94043
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 10 1995 12:00AM