BOND FINANCING AND TRANSPORTATION INFRASTRUCTURE: EXPLORING CONCEPTS AND ROLES
This report summarizes a symposium jointly sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), the Federal Transit Administration (FTA), and the Office of the Secretary of Transportation (OST). The September 28, 1993, symposium focused the attention of transportation officials and financial experts on debt financing options for transportation infrastructure. Introductory remarks were provided by the Deputy Administrator, FHWA (moderator); the Deputy Secretary, Department of Transportation; the Associate Administrator, FTA; and the Administrator, FHWA. These remarks set forth the challenge of meeting future transportation needs with creative financing ideas. Thomas Bradshaw, Managing Director of First Boston Corporation, delivered a keynote address outlining the workings of bond finance as a growing, important option to provide missing transportation links. Two panels, one providing intergovernmental perspectives and the other detailing various bond financing mechanisms, then gave participants the opportunity to weigh current programs and workings of the market and alternatives proposed to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of bond use for transportation. Appendix A contains a list of symposium participants, Appendix B the symposium agenda, Appendix C a background paper on bond financing, and Appendix D a glossary of terms.
- This summary report is Number 9 in the Federal Highway Administration's Searching for Solutions: A Policy Discussion Series.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1994-2
- Features: Appendices;
- Pagination: 50 p.
- TRT Terms: Bonds; Conferences; Financing; Highway transportation; Infrastructure; Public transit; Urban transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Bond financing
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Public Transportation; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00675278
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-PL-94-014
- Files: TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 1995 12:00AM