DEVELOPING AND TESTING OF A SCREENING MODEL FOR PREDICTING TRACTOR TRAILER TRUCK DRIVER RETENTION. FINAL REPORT
Among the many problems confronting the motor carrier industry, one in particular is of major significance: truck driver turnover. Estimates place the average annual rate between 30% to over 150%, costing trucking companies millions of dollars annually, and, in one documented situation driver turnover costs that company alone $30-million per year. This study intended to establish a training model designed to implement and test for a vehicle to reduce the attrition rate. As the proposed model was predicated upon a doctoral study running concurrent to this study, the results of the doctoral dissertation eliminated causal factors intended to be used in the model because, of 3,055 driver records evaluated, little if any significance surfaced to support the model. Instead, this study, verified the findings of the doctoral dissertation with regards to personal and human characteristics. The study examined 331 drivers from two terminals similar in scope of hiring and operations. The drivers evaluated were measured according to length of employment who were hired on or after January 1, 1994, and were still employed or terminated as of March 31, 1994. Drivers from both terminals were analyzed on the following demographic characteristics: (1) gender, (2) marital status, (3) ethnicity, and (4) age. Work related attributes covered in the dissertation were not used in this study. It was determined that the two groups showed no significance when only the variables tested stood alone. When evaluated with job related factors, only age and ethnicity measured minimal significance statistically.
- This study was funded by a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation's University Transportation Centers Program.
Mack-Blackwell Transportation CenterUniversity of Arkansas, 4190 Bell Engineering Center
Fayetteville, AR United States 72701
- Hinton, B E
- McVittie, S
- Publication Date: 1995-1
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 40 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Costs; Ethnic groups; Gender; Marital status; Personnel retention; Truck drivers; Trucking; Turnover
- Uncontrolled Terms: Attrition; Ethnicity
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Motor Carriers; Society; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00674230
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FR 1016
- Contract Numbers: DTRS92-G-0013
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Feb 16 2001 12:00AM