TRAFFIC SAFETY FACTS 1993: PEDALCYCLISTS
In 1993, 814 pedalcyclists were killed in traffic crashes. Pedalcyclist deaths accounted for 2% of all traffic fatalities during the year. The average age of pedalcyclist fatalities was 20.8 years in 1983; in 1993 the average age was 27.8 years. Pedalcyclists accounted for 12% of all nonmotorist traffic fatalities in 1993. Pedestrians accounted for 86%, and the remaining 2% were skateboard riders, roller skaters, etc. Pedalcyclist fatalities occurred more frequently in urban areas (60%), at nonintersection locations (69%), between the hours of 4:00 PM and 8:00 PM (34%), and during the summer months of June, July, and August (39%). Additional statistics on pedalcyclist fatalities and fatality rates are provided in this report.
- Record URL:
National Center for Statistics and Analysis1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1994
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 4 p.
- TRT Terms: Age; Bicycle crashes; Cyclists; Drivers; Fatalities; Gender; Intoxication; Periods of the day; Summer; Urban areas
- Old TRIS Terms: Driver intoxication
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Society; I81: Accident Statistics; I83: Accidents and the Human Factor;
- Accession Number: 00672502
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: NTL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jan 6 1995 12:00AM