BARCELONA AIR QUALITY INITIATIVE: A RESEARCH REPORT ON LIDAR APPLICATIONS TO STUDY URBAN ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS. FINAL REPORT
In June 1992, the Los Alamos lidar (a type of laser radar) team was asked to participate in a study of the urban air pollution in and around Barcelona, Spain. This study was to take place before and during the Summer Olympic Games (July-August 1992). Because the city closed areas of Barcelona to traffic and limited access to other areas, we had the opportunity to study the spatial and temporal contribution of vehicles to the overall pollution problem. The effectiveness of remediation efforts in other cities could be gauged by the results in Barcelona. This multinational study included members from the Federal Republic of Germany and Spain, as well as the Los Alamos lidar team from the United States. The study was originally intended to include a campaign of traffic monitoring and meteorological measurements in addition to computer modelling. This report describes the equipment fielded by the Los Alamos team and the methodologies used to gather the data. The lidar data yielded information about atmospheric phenomena, aerosol sources, and traffic correlations. Averaged results show correlations with observed traffic patterns, but these can be compromised by the effects of inversions and wind flow; aerosol sources were determined by correlating strong backscatter returns with locations on the map such as intersections, metrostations, and the stadiums; atmospheric phenomena were observed with the vertical scans, which showed layering of the atmosphere, lack of coupling of the convective mix layer with upper layers, and in-and-out flow of aerosols in the upper-planetary boundary layers. This project was the first large-scale traffic study ever attempted using the lidar; as such, a great number of lessons were learned.
- This report is authored by employees of the University of California, operator of the Los Alamos National Laboratory.
Los Alamos National LaboratoryP.O. Box 1663
Los Alamos, NM United States 87545
- Buttler, W
- Eichinger, W
- Lebeda, C
- Cooper, D
- Moses, J
- Publication Date: 1994-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Aerosols; Air pollution; Atmospheric circulation; Laser radar; Measurement; Measuring instruments; Travel patterns; Wind
- Uncontrolled Terms: Traffic patterns
- Geographic Terms: Barcelona (Spain)
- Old TRIS Terms: Air quality measurements; Layering; Wind effects
- Subject Areas: Environment; Highways; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00672480
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: ATR.06.94.23, Proj Doc ATR 94-1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jan 3 1995 12:00AM