SPEED LIMITERS FOR LORRIES AND BUSES. CONSIDERATIONS ON THE CHOICE OF A MAXIMUM "ADJUSTMENT VALUE"
SNELHEIDSBEGRENZERS VOOR VRACHTWAGENS EN BUSSEN. OVERWEGINGEN BIJ DE KEUZE VAN EEN MAXIMUM INSTELWAARDE
This study investigates to what value the speed limiters on lorries and buses should be adjusted, from a traffic safety point of view. This question is placed into a broader context, and is elaborated in relation to: (1) 80 km/h roads; (2) motorways; (3) a speed limiter for passenger cars; (4) speed and road accidents; and (5) the 1989 fatal Traffic Accident Registration (VOR) data where fatal accidents are concerned. The compulsory application of speed limiters on heavy vehicles in order to lower their speed on motorways cannot be justified by using safety arguments, without a better control of the passenger cars' speed on these roads.
The Hague, Netherlands 2594 AW
- ROSZBACH, R
- KOORNSTRA, M J
- Publication Date: 1991
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 37 p.
- Issue Number: R-91-76
- TRT Terms: Buses; Economic efficiency; Equipment; Freeways; Safety; Speed; Speed limits; Traffic; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Efficiency
- ITRD Terms: 5911: Efficiency; 3674: Equipment; 1236: Lorry; 2752: Motorway; 1665: Safety; 5408: Speed; 624: Speed limit; 755: Traffic
- Subject Areas: Economics; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00671065
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute for Road Safety Research, SWOV
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jan 24 1995 12:00AM