IMPROVEMENT OF ASPHALT MIX DESIGN TO PREVENT RUTTING. FINAL REPORT
Crushed stone aggregates and a natural sand were used to prepare different aggregate gradations for the Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) Structural Asphalt Mixtures (S-I, S-II, and S-III). Each gradation was modified by altering the mineral filler (MF) content and substitution of up to 20% natural sand for crushed stone screenings. Mixtures were prepared with these aggregate blends, compacted, and tested at 60 deg C in the Gyratory Testing Machine (GTM). The result of this investigation indicated that the GTM air-roller mix design and evaluation procedure was successful in identifying the optimum asphalt content, sensitivity of the mix to changes in MF and asphalt content, the effect of natural sand content and gradation of aggregates, and their relationship to air void content, voids in the mineral aggregate, and asphalt content. A hot mix asphalt (HMA) densification procedure was developed for Quality Control and/or Quality Assurance testing of plant HMA production. The results of this study indicated that the density and shear strength of the mixtures tested according to this procedure were essentially the same as obtained from the 60 deg C densification test procedure.
- University of Florida Project Nos.: 4910450433712 and 4910450428412.
University of Florida, GainesvilleEngineering and Industrial Experiment Station
Gainesville, FL United States 32611
Tallahassee, FL United States 32301
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Ruth, B E
- Tia, M
- Shen, Xianghao
- Wang, L-H
- Publication Date: 1994-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 344 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregate gradation; Air voids; Asphalt content; Asphalt mixtures; Crushed rock; Density; Gyratory testing machines; Hot mix asphalt; Mineral fillers; Mix design; Optimization; Quality assurance; Quality control; Sand; Shear strength
- Old TRIS Terms: Air voids content; Gyratory tests; Sand content
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; I31: Bituminous Binders and Materials;
- Accession Number: 00670411
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FL/DOT/MO/515, State Proj 99700-7502-119, WPI 0510515
- Contract Numbers: C-3583, C-3294, 0515
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 14 1994 12:00AM