PLANNING, DESIGN, AND OPERATION OF TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES IN HOUSTON, TEXAS: A SUMMARY OF ACTIVITIES. FINAL REPORT
This report discusses the activities conducted for the Houston District on a variety of topics. High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) Lane evaluations were conducted quarterly on five facilities and twenty-nine park and ride facilities were surveyed. Dynamic Lane Assignment Systems (DALAS) were evaluated, Automatic Vehicle Identification (AVI) Systems were designed for freeway traffic monitoring, and air quality impact analyses were conducted for a variety of traffic management applications. Urban planning studies involving roadway inventory, travel time, and vehicle classifications were conducted. General traffic data collections were conducted to maintain the District database and numerous roadway cost analyses were made. A Public Information Survey on Houston mobility and safety was conducted at the Houston Auto Show. The project staff provided technical assistance to the Department in the planning and design of the Central Control Facility for the Computerized Transportation Management System (CTMS). A system of above-pavement traffic detectors, using infrared light sensors, was successfully tested to measure speeds, classify vehicles and to initiate warning information to large trucks on freeway connectors.
- Research study title: Planning, Design, and Operation of Transportation Facilities in Houston--Phase II.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
- McCasland, W R
- Mounce, J M
- Publication Date: 1993-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Air quality; Analysis; Automatic vehicle identification; City planning; Costs; Data collection; Design; High occupancy vehicle lanes; Highway traffic control; Infrared detectors; Mobility; Operations; Park and ride; Planning; Safety; Surveys; Transportation buildings; Vehicle detectors
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Transportation facilities
- Geographic Terms: Houston (Texas)
- Old TRIS Terms: Computerized transportation management system; Dynamic lane assignment systems
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Design; Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00670370
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TX-94/1941-2F, Res Rept 1941-2F, TTI: 7-1941
- Contract Numbers: Study 7-1941
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Dec 5 1994 12:00AM