PCA INFORMATION. COMPARISON OF THE PERFORMANCE OF CONCRETE MADE WITH ASTM AND AASHTO TYPE II CEMENTS.
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) provide specifications for Type II cement. The majority of cements are produced under ASTM specifications, but many state highway projects require cements made to AASHTO specifications. For AASHTO Type II cements, a maximum limit of 55 percent C3S is prescribed, whereas for ASTM Type II cements, this parameter is not limited. Other than a slightly more restrictive limitation on fineness for the AASHTO Type II cements, there are no other differences in the two cement specifications. To investigate if concrete properties differ as a result of using the different Type II cements, two pairs of cements were obtained, each pair included one ASTM Type II cement and one AASHTO Type II cement. Each pair was obtained from a single plant. Concretes were made with these cements using an identical mix design representative of paving applications. Fresh concrete properties, potential for plastic shrinkage cracking, heat development, compressive strength development, and drying shrinkage were measured for each concrete made with each cement. Results reveal little difference in concrete properties as a result of using either ASTM or AASHTO Type II cements.
- Following the research report is an appendix report titled "Survey of Cement Specifications Used in Concrete Pavement and Bridge Construction" by I. Panoussaki.
Skokie, IL United States 60077
- Burg, R G
- Publication Date: 1993
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Compressive strength; Drying; Portland cement; Properties of materials; Shrinkage; Specifications; Temperature
- Identifier Terms: American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials; ASTM International
- Subject Areas: Highways; Materials; I32: Concrete;
- Accession Number: 00670352
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Portland Cement Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: RP320
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 28 1994 12:00AM