HEAVY TRUCK REAR UNDERRIDE PROTECTION. FINAL REPORT
The Vehicle Research and Test Center (VRTS) has initiated a program to develop and evaluate the effectiveness of a rear guard design. VRTC developed a rigid static test device and successfully fabricated a minimally compliant guard design. A number of additional guards were fabricated and tested to evaluate the repeatability of the design. A rigid simulated trailer was developed to mount the guard for dynamic testing. Two sub-compact and two compact vehicle models were selected for crash testing to evaluate the effectiveness of the minimally compliant guard design in preventing rear underride injuries. Tests were conducted using the simulated trailer and an actual tractor trailer. An additional crash test was performed with a rigid guard configuration to compare with the results of the minimally compliant design.
- See also PB81-111890 and PB81-136111.
East Liberty, OH United States 43319
- ELIAS, J C
- Monk, M W
- Publication Date: 1993-6
- Pagination: 135 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash tests; Heavy duty trucks; Measures of effectiveness; Rigid structures; Trailers; Trucks; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Old TRIS Terms: Rear guard design
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Motor Carriers; Research; Vehicles and Equipment; I91: Vehicle Design and Safety;
- Accession Number: 00670252
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: HS-808 081, VRTC-82-0267
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Dec 9 1994 12:00AM