EXAMINATION OF INTERSECTION, LEFT TURN ACROSS PATH CRASHES AND POTENTIAL IVHS COUNTERMEASURES. FINAL REPORT
This report provides a preliminary analysis of intersection-related, left turn across path (LTAP) crashes and applicable countermeasure concepts for the Intelligent Vehicle Highway System (IVHS) program. An LTAP crash occurs when the subject vehicle (SV) approaches an intersection, attempts to turn left, and either strikes or is struck by the principal other vehicle (POV) traveling in the opposing traffic lanes. A detailed analysis of 154 such crashes showed that 49% are caused by drivers who were unaware of the oncoming vehicle, and that 30% were caused by drivers who saw but misjudged the velocity/gap of the oncoming vehicle. Moreover, two LTAP crash subtypes are identified: the SV slows, but does not stop, begins the left turn, and strikes or is struck by the oncoming POV in 71.6% of these crashes; and the SV stops, then proceeds with the left turn, and strikes or is struck by the POV in the remaining 28.4% of these crashes. The crash avoidance system (CAS) concepts discussed in this report include driver warnings, partially automatic vehicle control systems, and fully automatic vehicle control systems. This report concludes with a number of research needs to better understand LTAP crashes and guide CAS development.
- Firms contracting to RSPA/VNTSC: Battelle, 505 King Avenue, Columbus, OH 43201-2693; and Calspan Corporation, P.O. Box 400, Buffalo, NY 14225.
Volpe National Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Chovan, J D
- Tijerina, L
- Everson, J H
- Pierowicz, J A
- Hendricks, D L
- Publication Date: 1994-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Advanced vehicle control systems; Countermeasures; Crash analysis; Crash avoidance systems; Intelligent transportation systems; Intersections; Left turns; Research; Traffic crashes; Warning systems
- Old TRIS Terms: Automatic vehicle control
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research; Safety and Human Factors; I80: Accident Studies;
- Accession Number: 00669055
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-VNTSC-NHTSA-94-4, HS-808 154
- Contract Numbers: HS421/S4007
- Files: HSL, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Nov 29 1994 12:00AM