DETERMINING THE TRAVEL CHARACTERISTICS OF EMERGENCY SERVICE VEHICLES
Travel time, defined as the time the dispatch of an emergency unit until its arrival at the scene of an incident, is an important measure of the performance of an emergency service. However, most municipalities know very little about how quickly their emergency units respond and how travel times and travel speeds vary with respone distance, time of day, and region of the city. This Report discusses a procedure for determining the travel characteristics of emergency service vehicles. It involves (1) conducting an experiment to collect data on a large number of responses and (2) analyzing the resulting data using a computer program that has been given the name "Travel Time Analysis Program." Instructions and data collection forms are provided for conducting the experiment, and the computer program is described, including the input data and output reports. The program summarizes the experimental data, and estimates the relationship between travel time and travel distance by fitting several curves to the data. The effects of the time of day and weather and traffic conditions on travel speed are also examined. The latter part of this Report serves as a user's manual for the Travel Time Analysis Program, and includes a program listing, a description of the input data, a detailed explanation of the output, and a sample printout.
- Sponsored by the Housing and Urban Development Department, Office of Policy Development and Research, Washington, D.C.
New York City Rand Institute545 Madison Avenue
New York, NY United States 10022
- Hausner, J
- Publication Date: 1975-4
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 78 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Emergency vehicles; Traffic speed; Travel patterns; Travel time; Trip length
- Subject Areas: Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00132126
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- Report/Paper Numbers: Rept. No. R-1687-HUD
- Contract Numbers: H-2164
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 29 1977 12:00AM