A STUDY OF DRIVING RECORDS, LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND INSURABILITY OF PHYSICALLY IMPAIRED DRIVERS
This study was a preparation of a comprehensive and authoritative profile of all phases of the physically impaired driver. Further, the study sought to serve as a blueprint for greater safety activity and programming for the physically impaired driver. Individual reports on licensing, retraining, accident involvement, driver weaknesses and shortcomings and insurance considerations are included. Methodology included original research compilations and analyzations of accident reports, number of physically impaired drivers, state laws, insurance practices and surveys. Licensing officials and safety executives have high regard for the physically impaired drivers as a group and as reflected in state driving records, where the physically impaired driver is under-represented in accident statistics and averages lowest in frequency of injury producing accidents. Physically impaired drivers are superior insurance risks, do best in those areas of skill which are attitudinal in nature and poorest in those physical in nature. Increased numbers of driver retraining facilities should be established and tailored to the safety shortcomings of the group involved. Physical impairment alone should not be a limitation upon issuance of renewal of the driver license, rather capacity and ability of each individual should be the determining factor.
- Sponsored by Department of Health, Education, and Welfare.
Denver UniversityCollege of Law
Denver, CO USA 80210
- FINESILVER, S G
- Publication Date: 1970-10-1
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash rates; Driver licenses; Driver records; Highway safety; Injuries; Insurance; Laws; Physically handicapped persons; Standards
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Safety and Human Factors; Society;
- Accession Number: 00132108
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Safety Council Safety Research Info Serv
- Report/Paper Numbers: Rpt. No. RD 2283 G
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 9 1977 12:00AM