ACCIDENTS ON RURAL ROADS. A STUDY IN CAMBRIDGESHIRE
This report examines the problem of rural road traffic accidents in Cambridgeshire. An in-depth review of the STATS 19 statistics was conducted in order to: (1) establish the characteristics of rural traffic accidents in the county; (2) identify recurring features of those accidents, and where necessary, to (3) recommend priorities for those areas where additional research would be required to determine underlying behavioural or environmental factors involved in rural road accidents. STATS 19 statistics have been supplemented by other sources from within and outside the County Council. Traffic flows, population estimates and road length statistics are presented in order to relate the road users accident data to traffic and people at risk. Results show that during the five years under review, from 1988 to 1992, Cambridgeshire had the highest contribution of rural traffic accidents to its overall traffic accident total, when compared with eight English counties similar in urban and rural road length; it also had the highest accident rate per kilometre (1.69) on non-trunk A class roads, and the highest proportion of fatal and seriously injured casualties in all road user groups, with the exception of public service vehicles, of all the counties (24% for car occupants and 56% for pedestrians).
AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATIONNORFOLK HOUSE, PRIESTLEY ROAD
BASINGSTOKE, HAMPSHIRE United Kingdom RG24 9NY
- Publication Date: 1994
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Arterial highways; Crashes; Intersections; Local government agencies; Rural areas; Secondary roads; Statistics
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 1643: Accident; 455: Junction; 192: Local authority; 2748: Main road; 328: Rural area; 2773: Secondary road; 6555: Statistics; 8119: United Kingdom
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00667990
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD, ATRI
- Created Date: Nov 2 1994 12:00AM