FOOTING THE BILL
This article describes the jockeying of the Federal Highway Administration, defense technology companies, and Intelligent Vehicle Highway Systems America (IVHS America) for positions in the developing IVHS market. The author states that three funding scenarios are possible: 1) a laissez faire approach would have private suppliers compete head-to-head in the marketplace, 2) a government coordination and facilitation approach would mean major interests would gather and outline national or international standards, and 3) a government sponsorship approach. The benefits and drawbacks of each approach are discussed as well as the likelihood of such options being exercised. The IVHS market will establish new winners and losers in the transportation field and financing at this stage is a definite unknown.
- This is a supplement to Engineering News Record.
McGraw-Hill, Incorporated330 West 42nd Street
New York, NY United States 10036
- Gifford, J
- Publication Date: 1994-6-27
- Pagination: p. 9-11
- TRT Terms: Finance; Financing; Government funding; Intelligent transportation systems; Markets; Private enterprise; Public private partnerships; Standards; Technology
- Identifier Terms: IVHS America; U.S. Federal Highway Administration
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; I10: Economics and Administration; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00667426
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 29 1994 12:00AM