THIN SURFACING MATERIAL TRIALS IN THE U.K.
This paper discusses the concept of thin surfacings such as UTHMAL (Ultra Thin Hot Mix Asphalt Layers and VTSL (Very Thin Surface Layers). These include Safepave and UL-M. The trials of such surfacings being carried out in the United Kingdom on the A47, A1, A1033, A31, A34 and M5 are presented briefly. The results of the trials to date are presented. The usefulness of these materials and the circumstances in which they should prove effective compared to other materials is discussed. The properties discussed include: a) evenness; b) surface texture; c) skid resistance; d) high speed skid resistance; e) hydraulic conductivity; f) noise; g) costs and h) durability.
TRLCrowthorne House, Nine Mile Ride
Wokingham, Berkshire United Kingdom RG40 3GA
- Mercer, J
- Nicholls, J C
- POTTER, J F
- Publication Date: 1994
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRL PUBLISHED ARTICLE
- Issue Number: PA 3007/93
- Publisher: TRL
- TRT Terms: Bituminous mixtures; Costs; Durability; Experimental roads; Hydraulic fluids; Hydraulics; Motor vehicles; Noise; Rolling contact; Rutting; Skid resistance; Smoothness; Splashing; Surfacing; Wearing course (Pavements)
- Uncontrolled Terms: Decreases
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- ITRD Terms: 4967: Bituminous mixture; 5440: Contact (tyre road); 224: Cost; 9009: Decrease; 5910: Durability; 3071: Evenness; 2778: Experimental road; 5431: Hydraulics (fluid); 2492: Noise; 3081: Rutting (wheel); 3031: Skid resistance; 9146: Spray (veh); 2972: Surfacing; 8119: United Kingdom; 2980: Wearing course
- Subject Areas: Environment; Finance; Highways; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00665102
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Sep 9 1994 12:00AM