AN ASSESSMENT OF THE RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN FRONTAL IMPACT SPEED AND FATALITIES
An assessment was made of the cumulative distributions of fatalities and injuries as a function of crash severity (Equivalent Barrier Speed and TAB damage extent) using the indepth Collision Performance and Injury Report (CPIR) data and Texas police-reported data. The exact forms of the cumulative distributions are dependent upon the set of data used and upon the set of analytical techniques used. It was also demonstrated that fatalities are associated with other factors than speed alone. Further, the probability of being killed is the product of the risk of fatality for each set of crash factors times the chance that each combination of crash factors will occur. Consequently, vehicle safety design changes or a shift away from single-vehicle rural collisions can alter the distributions of fatalities. Existing accident data are inadequate for the preparation of an accurate and representative fatality distribution by speed (or severity). CPIR data are detailed but unrepresentative and TAD lack sufficient resolution. An up-to-date national sample with sufficient data for preparation of a representative cumulative fatality curve by speed (or severity) is needed.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/361122
- Sponsored by the Motor Vehicle Manufacturers Association.
Highway Safety Research InstituteHuron Parkway and Baxter Road
Ann Arbor, MI United States 48109
- MARSH IV, J C
- Brown, B C
- Publication Date: 1975-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 50 p.
- TRT Terms: Crash injury research; Crash reports; Crash severity; Distributions (Statistics); Fatalities; Frontal crashes; Motor vehicles; Speed; Traffic speed
- Old TRIS Terms: Cumulative distributions
- Subject Areas: Highways; Research; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00131951
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Highway Safety Research Institute
- ISBN: 361122
- Report/Paper Numbers: UM-HSRI-SA-75-8 Tech. Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM