SOCIAL, ENVIRONMENTAL, AND ATTITUDINAL FACTORS ASSOCIATED WITH HIGHWAY PLANNING, VOLUME II, "PUBLIC INVOLVEMENT: A GUIDE TO ACTION"
The Guide to Public Involvement utilized data from the larger study on "Social, Environmental, and Attitudinal Factors Associated with Highway Planning." The volume contains a myriad of materials and findings previously developed on public involvement techniques. Specific data relative to the Model have been integrated with existing findings to provide some flexibility in planning for public involvement, public hearings, and public meetings. Specific objectives of the Model include (1) to provide suggestions for programs of public participation, public awareness, and public information geared toward the development of an effective plan to facilitate greater communication between transportation agency officials and the general public; (2) to identify specific operational components, which when utilized, can enhance an appropriate level of participation in planning for potentially impacted neighborhood areas and successful relocation efforts; and (3) to offer guidelines for initiating public involvement activities during the pre-hearing public involvement process as well as public hearings and meetings. The Guide to Public Involvement has built-in flexibility, making it useful for highway departments throughout the nation. It provides specific suggestions on organizational techniques, group and leadership identification, group interests, involvement models, and related participatory phenomena.
- Sponsored by the State Department of Highways and Public Transportation. Research conducted in cooperation with DOT, and FHWA.
Texas Southern University, HoustonUrban Resources Center, 3017 Wheeler Avenue
Houston, TX USA 77004
- Lede, N W
- Publication Date: 1975-8
- Features: Figures; References;
- Pagination: 45 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; City planning; Environmental impacts; Highway planning; Programming (Planning); Public hearings; Public participation; Public policy; Relocation assistance; Social values
- Uncontrolled Terms: Public interest
- Subject Areas: Economics; Environment; Highways; Policy; Society;
- Accession Number: 00131805
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Res. Rpt. #217-1F Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: 7-10-75-217
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 5 1976 12:00AM