WAKE ADAPTED DUCTED PROPELLERS
For the application behind ships two different types of ducted propellers are considered; the ducted propeller where the nozzle accelerates the flow at the propeller and the ducted propeller where the nozzle decelerates the flow at the propeller. The first type of ducted propeller is now extensively used in cases where the ship screw is heavily loaded or where the screw is restricted in diameter. The second type of ducted propeller is used to increase the static pressure at the impeller. This nozzle may be used if retardation of propeller cavitation is desired. The potentialities of ducted propellers both with nozzles of the accelerating and the decelerating flow type are discussed based on simplified theories. The open-water test results of systematic series of both types are given. In addition, the results of open-water tests with ringpropellers and ringpropellers in nozzles are included. Finally, the design and the application of non-axisymmetrical nozzles which are adapted to the wake behind the ship, are discussed.
Netherlands Ship Model BasinHaagsteed 2, P.O. Box 28
- Oosterveld, MWC
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 130 p.
- TRT Terms: Ducted propellers; Propellers; Shrouded propellers
- Old TRIS Terms: Propeller efficiency; Wake adapted propellers
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00032707
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Netherlands Ship Model Basin
- Report/Paper Numbers: NSMB-345
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 21 1972 12:00AM