REPORT FROM THE COMMISSION TO THE COUNCIL CONCERNING THE ACTIONS TO BE TAKEN IN THE COMMUNITY REGARDING THE ACCESSIBILITY OF TRANSPORT TO PERSONS WITH REDUCED MOBILITY.
The Commission, in cooperation with experts from the Member States (including disabled people) and from international transport organisations, has drafted the action programme set out in this paper. Actions are divided into short term, medium term and long term measures, with the aim of improving accessibility to all modes of public transport by people who have special difficulty when using public transport. These actions, to be implemented by Member States or initiated by the Community in the case of certain research programmes, include the following: (1) technical standards affecting ease of access to and inside buses, coaches, cable cars and trains; (2) accessibility to, and funding of, all modes of public transport and the safety of disabled travellers; (3) information and signs for local and international journeys, including a Community wide handbook; (4) provision of training courses on disability awareness for transport operators, planners, travel agents etc; and (5) research and development through programmes such as COST 322 (on low floor buses and suitable bus stops), TIDE (on wheelchairs), DRIVE and EURET II.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/9277593466
Office for Official Publications of the European CommunitiesUnit OP/3, 2, Rue Mercier
- Publication Date: 1993-11
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 12 p.
- Publication of: OFFICE FOR OFFICIAL PUBLICATIONS OF THE EUROPEAN COMMUNITIES C
- Issue Number: COM(93)433
- Publisher: Office for Official Publications of the European Communities
- ISSN: 0254-1475
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Mobility; Persons with disabilities; Public transit
- Identifier Terms: European Commission; European Union
- ITRD Terms: 9139: Accessibility; 1726: Disabled person; 8303: EU; 9105: Mobility (pers); 744: Public transport
- Subject Areas: Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00662190
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transport Research Laboratory
- ISBN: 92-77-59346-6
- Files: ITRD
- Created Date: Jul 28 1994 12:00AM