MARITIME TRAINING AND EDUCATION
The author contends that most people involved in formulating policies relating to the recruitment, training and employment of seafarers face shackling myths and traditions, and that unless these myths are broken, the shipping industry--including the tanker sector--will continue to face manning problems. He lists fourteen of the myths that surround recruitment and manning, contrasting each with the corresponding modern truth. Advice is then offered on how best to recruit tanker personnel, on the objectives of training, on the development of organizational competence, and on the avoidance of commercial accidents.
- Conference paper
- Moreby, D H
- Tanker '90
- Location: London, England
- Date: 1990-3-5 to 1990-3-6
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 8p.
- TRT Terms: Manning requirements; Merchant seamen; Recruiting
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00661740
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM