FREIGHT CAR TRUCK OPTIMIZATION: TRUCK ECONOMIC DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS
A first interim report covering the development of the TDOP economic methodology was published by the Federal Railroad Administration in April 1975. It contains the truck investment economic evaluation procedures intended for the use of the railroad industry and their suppliers. The primary objective of the Truck Economic Data Collection and Analysis Program is to test the procedures for establishing the significant actual operating costs of existing Type I general purpose trucks. This second interim report covers the progress of the program. A generalized truck cost information system was designed for the collection and integration of truck economic data. The collection of test data for off-line truck maintenance costs was completed. Test data collection was initiated for on-line truck maintenance and other associated costs and operating conditions. Preparatory work was begun to develop the appropriate data analysis guidelines. A preliminary analysis of some of the test data clearly revealed the truck's reported off-line wear and failure cost performance. Railroad companies and their suppliers are encouraged to consider adopting the tested procedures of the TDOP economic methodology. A progressive implementation of this methodology will provide them with the timely opportunity to develop a truck economic evaluation capability of their own.
- Sponsored by the Federal Railroad Administration.
Southern Pacific Transportation Company1 Market Street
San Francisco, CA United States 94105
Federal Railroad Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- April, D
- Publication Date: 1976-3
- Pagination: 86 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Car trucks (Railroads); Costs; Data collection; Economic analysis; Maintenance management; Operating costs; Research projects; Trucks; Vehicle design
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis; Maintenance costs
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Finance; Motor Carriers; Railroads; Research;
- Accession Number: 00131621
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Railroad Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA-OR&D 75-58A Tech Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-40023
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 14 1977 12:00AM