NEW TOOLS FOR THE MODERN MARINER
The author, who is director-general of Inmarsat, reviews the new technologies developed in the mobile satellite sector and their impact. They include the advent of Inmarsat C and Inmarsat M, the planned introduction of Inmarsat B, electronic data interchange, electronic customs clearance, the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS), new satellite navigation systems being constructed by both the USA and USSR, enhanced group call, global satellite paging, and planned satellite system improvements. The final sections of the article deal with steps being taken to secure an agreement on the use of Inmarsat Ship Earth Stations in ports and territorial waters.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/01441019
- Journal article; satellite technologies
- Lundberg, O
- Publication Date: 1990-7
- Pagination: 4 p.
- ISSN: 0144-1019
- TRT Terms: Customs administration; Electronic data interchange; Navigational satellites; Satellite communication
- Old TRIS Terms: Global maritime distress and safety system; Group calling; Maritime mobile service
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00660954
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM