DURABILITY AND RELIABILITY
There has been much discussion and even dispute as to the meaning and interrelation of durability, reliability and quality and other engine properties observed in the course of its lifetime. Unless these terms are standardized, no common basis of understanding and differentiation can be established because it would be difficult to extrapolate the results of studies of individual components into an assessment of the whole engine. This paper attempts to define these general terms and trace possible interdependencies between the durability, reliability, stress and strength of an engine in various applications. The essential relationships between these concepts are illustrated by means of over twenty technical charts appended to the article.
- Conference paper
- Maab, H
- International Congress on Combustion Engines (CIMAC), 18th
- Location: Tianjin, China
- Date: 1989-6-5 to 1989-6-8
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 19p.
- TRT Terms: Durability; Engines; Reliability; Strength of materials
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00660604
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM