INTELLIGENT VEHICLE-HIGHWAY SYSTEM STANDARDS IN FLORIDA
The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is attempting to establish statewide IVHS standards. The FDOT presently has a very comprehensive traffic control equipment evaluation program. Florida statutes require the Department to adopt a uniform system of traffic control devices that are sold or used in Florida. The FDOT issues two types of approval documents for traffic control devices in Florida. The first document is a Certificate of Conformance, which is issued for those devices which meet or exceed requirements in the MUTCD or in the state specifications. The second type of approval document is the Temporary Permit, which is issued for the installation and evaluation of new and innovative devices that have not yet met FDOT's approval specifications, such as new changeable message signs, detectors, controllers and other types of IVHS technology. The following general conditions must be met before any device can be issued a temporary permit and placed on Florida's roadways: (1) A comprehensive evaluation plan must be developed and approved prior to installation; (2) A site location needs to be identified and coordinated; and (3) A final summary report will be submitted to the Department.
- First in a series on Management of Traffic Systems conducted by Alberto J. Santiago and Sam Yagar on behalf of the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA).
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hoang, L T
- Brown, J A
- Larson, H E
- Large Urban Systems. Proceedings of the Advanced Traffic Management Conference
- Location: St. Petersburg, Florida
- Date: 1993-10-3 to 1993-10-8
- Publication Date: 1993-10
- Pagination: v.p.
- TRT Terms: Intelligent transportation systems; Standardization; State departments of transportation; Traffic control devices; Variable message signs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Controllers
- Geographic Terms: Florida
- Old TRIS Terms: Traffic control device uniformity
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00662961
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jul 13 1994 12:00AM