CURRENT TRENDS IN MARITIME COMMUNICATIONS
The latest technology and conceptual basis of current maritime communications equipment are studied with a view to determining the measures necessary to comply with existing and forthcoming legislation. Comparisons with older equipment are included, and changes in operator interfaces and traffic throughput are emphasized. The functional capabilities of MF, HF, VHF and Satcom systems are described, including the latest operational features of digital selective calling, computer control, and data communications. The effects of this progress on the present operation and management of ships is examined. The paper concludes with a look at maritime communications advances that will possibly become available to the maritime community in the coming decade.
- Conference paper
- Haddrell, A
- Marine Engineering Now and in the Future
- Location: London, England
- Date: 1989-7-17 to 1989-7-18
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 6p., incl. discuss.
- TRT Terms: Data communications; Satellite communication; Selective calling systems; Technological innovations; Telecommunications
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00660656
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM