MARKET OPPORTUNITIES AND DESIGN CONCEPTS FOR SELECTED U.S. TRADES; FINAL REPT
Five market opportunities were selected by the Maritime Administration for ship conceptual design studies. For each opportunity, recent trade statistics were analyzed and voyage conditions were identified to establish design requirements. Three of these opportunities, including crude oil lightering/shuttle tankers, product tankers for imports from Caribbean refineries, and dry bulk carriers for preference export cargoes, were satisfied by a parallel body series of 70,000 DWT to 80,000 DWT design concepts with standard forebodies, afterbodies, machinery and accommodation spaces. Possibilities for backhaul cargoes and special opportunities for multi-purpose bulk carriers were identified. A roll-on/roll-off sealift design concept was developed to satisfy anticipated replacement requirements for U.S. coastal trades serving Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico, while meeting minimum requirements for emergency sealift service. Ferry routes on the Delaware and Chesapeake Bays were selected as candidates for surface effect (SES) passenger/vehicle ferries. The SES configuration was chosen as the most appropriate advanced concept that will meet performance requirements and draft constraints characteristic of these routes. The report concludes with recommendations for further development of these design concepts by means of a cooperative industry effort, coordinated by the Maritime Administration under the ongoing Advanced Ship Development Program.
- Sponsored by Maritime Administration, Washington, DC. Office of Technology Assessment.
David Taylor Research Center Systems Dept.Bethesda, MD United States
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Roseman, D P
- Publication Date: 1991-11
- Pagination: 80 p.
- TRT Terms: Cargo ships; Exports; Ferries; Freight transportation; Imports; International trade; Market research; Market share; Naval architecture; Petroleum industry; Supply; Tankers; Trade; Water transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Petroleum trade
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Supplying; Tanker ships
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00666702
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DTRC/SD-92/01; MA-RD-840-92001
- Contract Numbers: MA-1-107
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 3 1994 12:00AM