OPERATION DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM READY RESERVE FORCE ACTIVATION ANALYSIS; FINAL REPT
An analysis of the activation of the first 45 Ready Reserve Force (RRF) vessels activated by the Maritime Administration to support of Operation DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM. This report addresses the time sequencing of the RRF vessels and their material condition as they arrived at their activation facilities from various locations in the U.S. where they had been under long-term preservation and layup for periods ranging from one to seven years. Assessments are included on the performance of the major organizations involved in the activation; i.e., the U.S. ship repair industry, RRF vessel Ship Managers/General Agents, Regulatory Bodies (USCG/ABS), shipboard crews and the three Regions and National Defense Reserve Fleets (NDRF) of the Maritime Administration. The recommendations within this report encompass: improved vessel deactivation and layup procedures, Reduced Operations Status crewing of RRF vessels while in retention/layup, RRF programmatic changes relative to contract services, ship repair and equipment technical support services, and manpower availability and training.
- Sponsored by Maritime Administration, Washington, DC.
Sharp (George G) Incorporated100 Church Street
New York, NY United States 10007
Maritime Administration1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Butcher, R
- Cougan, H
- Giblon, R
- Kiefer, R
- Schaff, J
- Publication Date: 1991-10
- Pagination: 154 p.
- TRT Terms: Assessments; Engines; Logistics; Maintenance; Marine diesel engines; Marine engineering; Repairing; Ships; Shipyards; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Marine propulsion; Military mobilizing
- Subject Areas: Finance; Freight Transportation; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00666688
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: MA-RRF-740-92003
- Contract Numbers: DTMA91-85-C-50008
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Oct 3 1994 12:00AM