DEVELOPMENT OF A TEST PROGRAM TO EVALUATE STRUCTURAL DEFECTS IN GLASS-REINFORCED PLASTIC (GRP). VOLUME 2; FINAL REPT. DEC 91-NOV 92
A mechanical testing program was developed for evaluation of the weakening effects of different types of commonly encountered flaws on the strength of composite boat hulls. A specification was developed for production of test coupons containing realistic and consistently reproducible simulated defects. Tensile and flexural testing procedures were specified, including development of a technique for tensile testing of cored specimens. A statistically- based test plan was developed. A mechanical testing program was conducted in which approximately 400 specimens were subjected to either tensile or flexural testing. this program was conducted to verify specimen production techniques, to validate mechanical testing procedures, and to acquire information about the statistical variability of test results, which is necessary for planning future experiments. The data from the testing also supported a limited number of conclusions about the effects of defects on the strength of composite specimens of solid, balsa-cored, and plastic foam-cored construction.... Composite materials, Tensile testing, Flexural testing, Flaw effects.
- See also Volume 1, AD-A263 814.
MAR, Incorporated6110 Executive Boulevard, Suite 410
Rockville, MD United States 20852
Coast GuardOffice of Research and Development
Washington, DC United States
- McClave, E F
- Goodwin, M J
- Publication Date: 1992-11
- Pagination: 104 p.
- TRT Terms: Boats; Composite materials; Construction; Defects; Expanded plastics; Flexural strength; Foams; Glass fiber reinforced plastics; Hulls; Laminates; Manufacturing; Mechanical properties; Plastics; Polyester resins; Production; Quality control; Solids; Specifications; Structures; Tensile properties; Tests
- Old TRIS Terms: Polyester plastics; Test and evaluation
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00666583
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: RDC-16B/92-VOL-2; USCG-D-02B-93
- Contract Numbers: DTCG39-91-D-E33A21
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 3 1994 12:00AM