AN/APS-137 FORWARD LOOKING AIRBORNE RADAR (FLAR) EVALUATION SPRING 1992 EXPERIMENT; INTERIM REPT. MAY 91-JAN 93
During April 1992, the U.S. Coast Guard RD Center conducted an experiment to determine the sweep width for the AN/APS-137 Forward Looking Airborne Radar (FLAR) when searching for 4-, 6-, and 10- person life rafts. A total of 507 target detection opportunities were generated for life-raft targets. The experiment was conducted in the coastal waters off the west coast of Florida from Wacussa Bay to Gasparilla Island. Radar searches to collect data used unalerted sensor operators and standard search patterns. Aircraft and target positions were recorded using a Differential Global Positioning System (DGPS). Target detections were recorded by observers on board the aircraft, and environmental conditions were recorded by observers on the workboats. In addition, two MINIMET (TM) environmental buoys recorded the sea and wind conditions in the search area. Environmental conditions represented in the data set included 1.6 to 3.6 foot significant wave heights and 2.9 to 13.0 knot winds.... Search and Rescue, Forward Looking Airborne, Radar, Radar, Inverse synthetic aperture radar, Sweep width, Search, Life raft, Small boat.
- Prepared in Collaboration with the Analysis and Technology, Inc., New London, Ct.
Coast GuardOffice of Research and Development
Washington, DC United States
- ROBE, R Q
- O'Brien, K
- RAUNIG, D L
- Publication Date: 1993-1
- Pagination: 65 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Boats; Buoys; Flares; Global Positioning System; Infrared imagery; Life rafts; Openings; Search and rescue operations; Standards; Tracking systems; Width; Wind
- Identifier Terms: United States Coast Guard
- Uncontrolled Terms: Apertures; Patterns; Synthetic Aperture Radar
- Old TRIS Terms: Forward looking infrared systems; Observers; Target detection
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00666564
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: CGR/DC-08/93
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 3 1994 12:00AM