HYDROGRAPHIC SERVICE ROYAL AUSTRALIAN NAVY FOR THE YEAR ENDED 30 JUNE 1992. ISSUE NUMBER 28; ANNUAL REPT. 1 JUL 91-30 JUN 92
The RAN Hydrographic Service is the Commonwealth agency responsible for the publication of nautical charts and other information required for the safe navigation of ships in Australian Waters. The Service also provides oceanographic and meteorological information and services to support operations of the RAN. The rationale for the Hydrographic Service has four themes: (1) Legislation requires ships to carry charts, and government to provide information, to protect life and property at sea; (2) Economic activity is supported by this service, principally the safety and efficiency of shipping, but also development and management of resources within the 200-mile Exclusive Economic Zone; (3) Environmental protection is underwritten by prevention of shipwrecks and subsequent oil pollution; and (4) Military operations require comprehensive knowledge of navigational dangers and a good knowledge of the marine environment.
- Original contains color plates: All DTIC and NTIS reproductions will be in black and white.
Royal Australian Navy Hydrographic Service, Canberra., Australia
Department of DefenceCanberra, Australia
- Leech, J W
- Publication Date: 1992-6-30
- Pagination: 90 p.
- TRT Terms: Environmental protection; Hydrographic surveying; Hydrography; Maritime safety; Meteorological phenomena; Navigation charts; Navigational aids; Oceans; Oil spills; Water pollution
- Old TRIS Terms: Boat and ship safety; Meteorological data; Oceanographic data
- Subject Areas: Environment; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00666563
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DODA-AR-008-450
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 3 1994 12:00AM