PRELIMINARY INVESTIGATION. EXTENDING THE SHIPPING SEASON ON THE ST. LAWRENCE SEAWAY
The paper is a preliminary investigation into the problems of extending the shipping season on the St. Lawrence Seaway and the impact such an extension would have upon the Great Lakes region. It begins with a summary of the technical problems associated with extending the shipping season, i.e., controlling the ice in the Seaway. Data are then presented for alternative improvement programs, utilizing cost projections of the U. S. Coast Guard. Finally, some questions are introduced that must be considered before an informed decision can be made regarding the feasibility of extending the Seaway navigation season.
University of Wisconsin, MilwaukeeDepartment of Economics
Milwaukee, WI United States 53201
- Schenker, Eric
- Kockan, J
- Publication Date: 1970-6
- Pagination: 23 p.
- TRT Terms: Operations
- Geographic Terms: Great Lakes; Saint Lawrence Seaway
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Marine Transportation; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00007056
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Nov 25 1972 12:00AM