SELF-CONTAINED SYSTEM FOR SURFACE SHIP PROTECTION AGAINST MOORED CONTACT MINES; PATENT
A minesweeping system, self-contained within the water vessel sought to be protected against contact-actuated moored mines, effective against moored mines which are directly in the path of the vessel, featuring a beam-and-float arrangement. A ruddered float is maintained by a control system in virtually forward position with respect to the vessel and is attached at the fore end of a long boom beam, the aft end of which is pivotably attached to the bow of the vessel. A depressor for maintaining submergence of the lower end of the tow wire and the inward ends of the sweepwires is attached at the lower end of the tow wire, the upper end of which is attached to the beam near the float. Port and starboard sweepwires are attached to the tow wire near the depressor, each sweepwire projecting generally horizontally and backwardly obliquely. Diverters attached at the outward ends of the two sweepwires maintain their proper orientation. Cutters are situated along the outward ends of the sweepwires. When a mine mooring cable contacts a sweepwire of the moving vessel, the mine mooring cable is deflected toward the outward end of the sweepwire and severed by a cutter, whereupon the mine rises harmlessly to the surface outside the path of the vessel.
- Filed 21 Nov 91 patented 16 Nov 93; Supersedes PAT-APPL-7-795 436.; This Government-owned invention available for U.S. licensing and, possibly, for foreign licensing. Copy of patent available Commissioner of Patents, Washington, DC 20231.; Patent
Department of the NavyWashington, DC United States
- Pickett, D M
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Cables; Control; Control systems; Cutting tools; Floating structures; Moorings; Patents; Surfaces; Walkways; Water; Wire
- Old TRIS Terms: Cutters; Floats; Minesweeping; Moored mines; Self contained
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00666500
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-7-795 436; PATENT-5 261 344
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 3 1994 12:00AM