DOORWAY TRANSIT NAVIGATIONAL REFERENCING SYSTEM; PATENT
A system of navigational referencing for a robot moving within a defined space is provided. A database contains x-y coordinate positional information on a plurality of doorway openings in terms of an x-y coordinate system. A mobile robot is provided that has the capability to access the database, define its location in terms of an approximate position within the defined space, and sense the presence of one of the plurality of doorway openings. The robot is positioned and moved along a path that traverses the one doorway opening at a known speed. The doorway opening's top door frame is detected from first and second sensor positions on the robot. The first and second sensor positions are separated by a known distance along a line orthogonal to the path that traverses the one doorway opening.
- Filed 26 Feb 92 patented 4 Jan 94; This Government-owned invention available for U.S. licensing and, possibly, for foreign licensing. Copy of patent available Commissioner of Patents, Washington, DC 20231.; Patent
Department of the NavyWashington, DC United States
- Everett, H R
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 11 p.
- TRT Terms: Access; Coordinates; Databases; Navigation; Openings; Patents; Portable equipment; Robots; Walkways
- Geographic Terms: Mobile (Alabama)
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00666497
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: PAT-APPL-7-846 486; PATENT-5 276 618
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Oct 3 1994 12:00AM