INNOVATIVE TECHNOLOGIES AND PRACTICES FOR ACCESSIBLE TRANSPORTATION. CTAP PUBLICATION
Innovative accessible technologies and practices are changing the face of public transit. The need for transit systems to comply with the requirements of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, to know about the range of applied technologies currently on the market and currently being developed, and to be aware of the shift in focus toward universal accessibility helped generate this report. This publication aims to help transit system operators comply with the requirements of the ADA and cope with the large number of passengers with disabilities now using the newly accessible public transit systems. The technologies and practices profiled in this report are cost-effective and even ground-breaking. This publication consists of the following nine chapters: Vehicle Lift and Ramp Technology and Standee Strategies; Low-Floor Bus Technology; Securement Technology; Talking Bus Stops and Buses; Smart Card Technology; Signage Technology; Interactive Computer Training Technology; Information Technologies; and, Detectable Warning Devices. Each chapter is divided into functional areas that provide: a general description of the technology or practice; information on the applicable law or guideline; how the device or strategy works; principal features and status of practical applications. The concluding insight is that the desire to provide the most accessible and passenger-friendly transportation for all users, coupled with the need to comply with ADA requirements, has created an unprecedented market for innovative technologies and practices in transit today.
- Prepared for the Community Transportation Assistance Project (CTAP), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Washington, DC United States 20005
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1994-5
- Pagination: 37 p.
- TRT Terms: Accessibility; Barrier free design; Innovation; Persons with disabilities; Public transit; Technological innovations
- Identifier Terms: Americans with Disabilities Act
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00664670
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Transit Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-DHHS-JC-94-1
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Sep 1 1994 12:00AM