SCHOOL TRANSPORT - A COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE
The first section of this book outlines the legislative framework, case law and guidelines relevant to provision in the UK, where under the 1944 Education Act, if a child between the ages of five and 16 does not live within walking distance of an appropriate school, the local authority is obliged to provide free transport. The many definitions of walking distances, and the discretionary powers that authorities exercise in providing free or discretionary transport throughout England, Wales and Scotland, are described in the second section. The book contains an outline of possible alternative frameworks for school transport provision, and an evaluation of the likely implications of such changes.
TAS PartnershipPreston, England
- THORNTHWAITE, S
- Publication Date: 1994
- Pagination: 232 p.
- TRT Terms: Legislation; School buses; Students; Walking distance
- Geographic Terms: England; Scotland; Wales
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Highways; Law; Planning and Forecasting; I72: Traffic and Transport Planning;
- Accession Number: 00664535
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Sep 1 1994 12:00AM