REGULATORY GUIDANCE FOR THE FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS
This document presents interpretive guidance material for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations (FMCSRs) now contained in the Federal Highway Administration's (FHWA's) Motor Carrier Regulation Information System (MCREGIS). The FHWA has consolidated previously issued interpretations and regulatory guidance materials and developed concise interpretive guidance in question and answer form for each part of the FMCSRs. These questions and answers are generally applicable to drivers, commercial motor vehicles, and motor carrier operations on a national basis. All prior interpretations and regulatory guidance of the FMCSRs issued previously in the Federal Register, as well as FHWA memoranda and letters, may no longer be relied upon as authoritative insofar as they are inconsistent with the guidance published today. Many of the interpretations of the FMCSRs published on November 23, 1977, and the interpretations of the Inspection, Repair, and Maintenance regulations published on July 10, 1980, have been revised. These revisions are reflected in the new questions and answers. Future interpretive guidance will be issued within the MCREGIS which will be kept current in the FHWA's Office of Motor Carrier Standards. The MCREGIS will also be updated periodically and published in the Federal Register so that interested parties may have ready reference to official interpretations and guidance regarding the FMCSRs. This guidance will provide the motor carrier industry with a clearer understanding of the applicability of many of the requirements contained in the FMCSRs in particular situations. EFFECTIVE DATE: November 17, 1993.
Alexandria, VA United States 22314-4686
- Publication Date: 1993
- Pagination: 52 p.
- TRT Terms: Commercial drivers; Commercial vehicles; Laws; Motor carriers; Regulations; Truck drivers; Trucks; Vehicle safety
- Identifier Terms: Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations; Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards
- Uncontrolled Terms: Interpretation
- Old TRIS Terms: Motor carrier regulation information system; Regulatory guidance; Truck laws & regulations
- Subject Areas: Highways; Law; Motor Carriers; Safety and Human Factors; I10: Economics and Administration;
- Accession Number: 00664387
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Item #C0874
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Aug 25 1994 12:00AM