EVALUATION OF RURAL GUIDE SIGNING: FIRST YEAR ACTIVITIES. INTERIM REPORT
This report describes the tasks conducted during the first year of a three-year study evaluating the use of guide signs on conventional highways in rural areas. The tasks were concentrated in four basic activity areas: 1) assessment of current practice, 2) identification of driver information needs, 3) evaluation of guide sign legibility, and 4) identification of potential study sites. Some of the first year tasks include: a survey of the Texas Department of Transportation district signing practices, a driver survey assessing the information needs of drivers and their understanding of conventional guide signs, an evaluation of the legibility of the State Highway and Farm-to-Market Road (F.M.) route markers and two designs for cardinal direction markers. The first year findings were used to develop several preliminary recommendations for rural guide signing. Some of the recommendations include: providing more advance signing farther from intersections/interchanges, increasing the height of numbers in several route markers developing/evaluating the effectiveness of alternative designs for the F.M. route marker, providing destination information (city names) at intersections/interchanges, and making greater use of overhead signing.
- Research study title: Evaluation of Rural Guide Signing.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Hawkins Jr, H G
- Bartoskewitz, R T
- Fenno, D W
- Distin, J M
- Publication Date: 1994-5
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 128 p.
- TRT Terms: Data collection; Design; Driver information systems; Drivers; Guide signs; Legibility; Location; Needs assessment; Overhead traffic signs; Recommendations; Rural areas; Signs; State of the art studies; Surveys; Traffic signs
- Uncontrolled Terms: Sign location
- Old TRIS Terms: Traffic sign design
- Subject Areas: Design; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Research; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00662902
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-93/1373-1, Res Rept 1373-1, TTI: 0-1373
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1373
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 27 1994 12:00AM