AN EVALUATION OF HIGH-OCCUPANCY VEHICLE LANES IN TEXAS. FINAL REPORT
This report evaluates the operation of freeway high-occupancy vehicle (HOV) lanes in Houston and Dallas through calendar year 1992. As of the end of 1992, HOV lanes were in operation on four Houston freeways: Katy Freeway (I-10); North Freeway (I-45); Northwest Freeway (US 290); and Gulf Freeway (I-45). The only HOV facility in operation in Dallas as of the end of 1992 was on the East R.L. Thornton Freeway (I-30E). Since 1988, an annual report has been prepared through this research project that summarizes the status and effectiveness of freeway HOV improvements in the State of Texas. This research report provides an analysis of data related to: 1) operation of the HOV lanes; 2) operation of the freeway mainlanes; 3) combined HOV lane and freeway data; and 4) data relating to transit usage and operations. Both a "before" and "after" trend line analysis (where applicable) and a comparison to control freeways are used as a means of assessing the impacts of the HOV facilities. As of the end of 1992, 46.5 miles of barrier-separated HOV facilities were in operation in Houston, while 5.2 miles were in operation in Dallas. Approximately 70,000 daily person trips are served on the Houston HOV lane system. Sixty percent of total person trips on the Houston HOV lanes are being served by carpools and vanpools, with the remaining 40 percent being served by buses. The East R.L. Thornton HOV lane in Dallas serves approximately 16,500 daily person trips. Sixty-four percent of these trips are being served by carpools and vanpools, with the remaining 36 percent being served by buses.
- Research study title: A "Before" and "After" Evaluation of the Committed High-Occupancy Vehicle Transitway Projects.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Henk, R H
- Morris, D E
- Christiansen, D L
- Publication Date: 1993-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Photos; Tables;
- Pagination: 298 p.
- TRT Terms: Before and after studies; Busways; Carpools; Cost effectiveness; Freeways; Guideways; High occupancy vehicle lanes; Impact studies; Measures of effectiveness; Vanpools
- Geographic Terms: Dallas (Texas); Houston (Texas)
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Terminals and Facilities; I73: Traffic Control;
- Accession Number: 00662901
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-94-1146-6F, Res Rept 1146-6F, TTI: 0-1146
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1146
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 22 1994 12:00AM