TEXAS AERONAUTICAL FACILITIES PLAN DEVELOPMENT NEEDS ASSESSMENT. INTERIM REPORT
This report reviews the projected airport development needs as represented in the Texas Aeronautical Facilities Plan, produced by the Aviation Division, Texas Department of Transportation. The 5-year development needs for state general aviation airports are shown to be significantly greater than existing and expected state funding capabilities. An approximately $30 million per year shortfall is expected considering the current condition of the state aviation system. The general consequences of this shortfall will be the potential loss of general aviation airports, continued substandard pavement conditions, and the subsequent loss of the economic advantage that air access provides to communities. A comparison of the Texas airport system and its funding mechanisms to those of other states is included. Texas is the only state that does not impose either an excise tax or sales tax, or both, on aviation fuels. Alternative aviation funding sources, such as an aviation fuel tax, state sales tax on aviation-related products, and aircraft and pilot registration fees, are analyzed. Historical, current, and future federal funding levels for general aviation development in Texas are included. Based on these findings, this report recommends that a combination of three aviation-related revenue sources be developed to address the funding shortfall. The Appendix includes a description of the state airport planning and funding mechanisms for North Carolina, Florida, and Colorado.
- Research study title: Texas Aeronautical Facilities Plan.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
Austin, TX United States 78763
- Lindquist, E
- Dresser, G B
- Publication Date: 1994-3
- Features: Appendices; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 68 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport planning; Airports; Development; Federal aid; Finance; Financing; Fuels; General aviation; Recommendations; Registration fees; Sales tax; Taxation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Financial sources
- Geographic Terms: Texas
- Old TRIS Terms: Airport development
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Energy; Finance; Research; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00662785
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: TX-94/1913-3, Res Rept 1913-3, TTI: 7-1913
- Contract Numbers: Study 7-1913
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 6 1994 12:00AM