PRELIMINARY RESEARCH FINDINGS ON THE EFFECT OF COARSE AGGREGATE ON THE PERFORMANCE OF PORTLAND CEMENT CONCRETE PAVING. INTERIM REPORT
This report focuses on aggregates used in the construction of continuously reinforced concrete pavements (CRCP). Specific chapters address (1) past research regarding aggregates used in CRCP, (2) field and laboratory investigations of CRCP, and (3) CRCP behavior and distress. The report reviews such topics as spalling and punchout distresses in continuously reinforced and jointed pavements, aggregate shape characterization using fractals, and the determination of sawcut depth using fractal analysis. Some of these activities relate directly to improving pavement performance, regardless of aggregate type used for construction. Early recommendations based on the project's significant findings have already been presented to the Texas Department of Transportation.
- Research study title: Evaluation of the Performance of Texas Pavements Made with Different Coarse Aggregates.
University of Texas, AustinCenter for Transportation Research, 3208 Red River Street
Austin, TX United States 78705
Austin, TX United States 78763-5051
Washington, DC United States 20590
- McCullough, B F
- Zollinger, D
- Allison, B T
- Publication Date: 1993-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 112 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Aggregates by shape and surface texture; Continuously reinforced concrete pavements; Defects; Field studies; Fractals; Laboratory tests; Pavement distress; Pavement performance; Pavements; Sawing; Spalling
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aggregate shape; Fractal analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Field investigations; Saw cutting
- Subject Areas: Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Pavements; I22: Design of Pavements, Railways and Guideways; I23: Properties of Road Surfaces; I36: Aggregates;
- Accession Number: 00662779
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA/TX-94+1244-5, Res Rept 1244-5, CTR 0-1244-5
- Contract Numbers: Study 0-1244
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jul 5 1994 12:00AM