THE ESTIMATION OF WIND LOADS ON SHIP SUPERSTRUCTURES
This monograph describes the development of a method currently used in the National Maritime Institute for the estimation of wind loads on the superstructures of ships at anchor or in motion. Formulas for determining velocity profiles as wind acts on a ship over the sea are derived. The basis of the wind load estimation method is explained, and some aspects of the loading calculations, such as conversion factors and ship design variations, are analyzed. Practical details of the analysis procedure and of data acquisition using wind tunnel models are discussed. Wind tunnel data for ships covering a wide range of design features are included, together with recommendations on their application to other ships for which such data are not available.
Royal Institution of Naval ArchitectsLondon, United Kingdom
- Gould, R W
- Publication Date: 1982
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 34 p.
- TRT Terms: Superstructures; Wind tunnels
- Old TRIS Terms: Wind loads on ships; Wind loads on structures
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00661008
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Report/Paper Numbers: RINA-MTM-8
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM