SPEED-Z FOR FERRIES
The Speed-Z propulsion system introduced by Liaaen Helix, is gaining acceptance. The system combines transmission, propeller and steering in one unit. The design of the unit is described and illustrated, and its features--the most interesting of which is use of a traction propeller--are described. Model trials showed the overall propulsion efficiency of the Speed-Z to be 66% at 28 knots, which compared with 58% for the conventional system. The new system is already in use on a cargo catamaran as a first commercial application, and two passenger catamarans and two surface effect ships with the system are on order for Scandinavian owners.
- Journal article
- Publication Date: 1988-11
- Pagination: 1-1/4p.
- Ship and Boat International
- Issue Number: 88/9
- Publisher: Reed (Thomas) Industrial Press Limited
- TRT Terms: Ferries
- Old TRIS Terms: Propulsion devices; Speed-z propulsion system
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00656751
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM