FAST FERRY BOOM OFFERS NEW PROPULSION OPPORTUNITIES
Launchings of new fast ferries are averaging one per week and this launch rate is forecast to accelerate sharply in coming years. Both speeds and overall sizes are increasing, and this is creating a need for new propulsion systems. Some developments in this area are reviewed, including waterjet propulsors, wavepiercers and variable- pitch propellers. It is stated that the market offers growing opportunities for the manufacturers of larger diesels, but that gas turbines will offer more competition as vessel sizes increase.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/02785994
- Journal article
- Publication Date: 1990-6
- Pagination: 3 p.
- Diesel & Gas Turbine Worldwide
- ISSN: 0278-5994
- TRT Terms: Catamarans; Ferries; Propulsion; Vehicle power plants
- Uncontrolled Terms: High speed vessels; Propulsion systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00660294
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM