FEATHERING C.P. PROPELLERS ON THE TWIN-SCREW BULKSHIP 'IRON PACIFIC'
The IRON PACIFIC, a dry bulker in the fleet of BHP Transport, is equipped with twin feathering controllable pitch propellers and twin rudders. Superior maneuverability and flexibility were specified as requirements, and the considerations that resulted in the final design are reviewed. Economics of scale were exploited, with the IRON PACIFIC, at 232,000 dwt, being almost twice the deadweight of her predecessor. Some operational aspects are also discussed.
- Conference paper
- Lips Propeller Symposium, 7th
- Location: Noordwijk aan Zee, The Netherlands
- Date: 1989-9-21 to 1989-9-22
- Publication Date: 0
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 4p.
- TRT Terms: Controllable pitch propellers; Dry bulk carriers; Propellers
- Old TRIS Terms: Feathering propellers; Iron pacific (Vessel); Twin screws
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00660183
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM