Crude oils vary widely in composition, and a spill, once it occurs, immediately begins to undergo many natural physical, chemical and biological changes. This weathering process, and some of the ecological effects of spills, is discussed. Recommendations concerning appropriate spill cleanup measures are offered. The dimensions of the offshore pollution threat in the waters surrounding the UK are briefly discussed.
- Journal article. Winter 89/90
- Martin, D B
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 6 p.
- Journal of the Honourable Company of Master Mariners
- Volume: 17
- Issue Number: No.200
- TRT Terms: Environmental impacts; Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills
- Old TRIS Terms: Spill weathering
- Subject Areas: Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00660129
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM