NIGHTMARE WORLD OF THE ONE MAN BRIDGE OPERATION
Theoretically, the technology to operate ships round the clock with a single watchkeeper already exists. This article is written from a viewpoint of strong opposition to one-man bridge operation (OMBO). It poses three questions that should be addressed before OMBO is even contemplated. These are: whether OMBO is really safe; whether it is economically justifiable; and whether it is socially desirable. Reasons are given why all three questions should be answered in the negative.
- Journal article. Winter 89/90
- Publication Date: 0
- Pagination: 3 p.
- Journal of the Honourable Company of Master Mariners
- Volume: 17
- Issue Number: No.200
- TRT Terms: Bridges (Ships); Evaluation; Safety; Ship operations
- Old TRIS Terms: Bridge operation; One man bridge
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00660126
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM