GARBAGE: MORE THAN JUST A NUISANCE
On 31 December 1988, Annex V of the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, 1973, as amended by the Protocol of 1978 (MARPOL 73/78) entered into force. It establishes strict controls over the disposal into the sea of garbage generated aboard ships. This article describes the threat, the greatest part of which is plastics debris; lists the 41 countries that had accepted Annex V by July 1989; and summarizes the provisions of the annex.
- Journal article
- Publication Date: 1989
- Pagination: 4 p.
- IMO News [International Maritime Organization]
- Issue Number: No.3
- TRT Terms: Oceans; Plastics; Prevention; Waste disposal
- Old TRIS Terms: Marpol convention
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00658897
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM