REPLACEMENT, OBSOLESCENCE AND MODIFICATION OF SHIPS
An approach is presented to help in making decisions regarding the replacement of oceangoing ships, an approach based on costs rather than on profits. The effect that varying certain important cost parameters has on replacement is demonstrated. Fiscal measures are shown to have little effect, while capital-cost and operating-cost profiles are very important. It is recommended that shipowners stay abreast of cost changes and technology improvements, as these could point to the advisability of replacing a vessel somewhat sooner than at the normal replacement age.
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/oclc/2899960
- Journal article
- Evans, J J
- Publication Date: 1989
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Costs; Equipment replacement; Ships
- Uncontrolled Terms: Obsolescence; Ship replacement
- Subject Areas: Finance; Maintenance and Preservation; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00658466
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Maritime Technical Information Facility
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jul 21 1994 12:00AM